1
2
3
4

Diving Cards are Complete!

Karl Juhlke - May 6, 2019

So the diving cards are now complete! It's taken roughly 45 hours to fully complete them from the initial drawing to the final colouring. Though I do have some artistic abilities, my favourite part of the process is definitely creating the game mechanics. My least favourite part is definitely the drawing. I tend to go up and down on whether I enjoy it or not. Though after finishing this, I must say that I'm very happy with the result. The diving and storm cards are the most labour intensive drawings to complete out of the entire game due to the amount of detailing and shading. The rest should go by relatively quickly. I'm hoping to have everything done by June 1 of this year, but I'm aware it might take until July 1. Doing the rough math, with 47 more cards to colour, it'll take me a total of 100 hours to colour; around 4 full days of non-stop colouring. Thankfully, I won't be doing it all in one sitting.


0 Comments

Colours and More Colours

Karl Juhlke - April 30, 2019

I've finished the drawings a few weeks back, and have been hard at work putting together the rulebook, box art, additional tokens, and colouring the drawings. I've done around 19 out of the 75 drawings, including all of the pirates, and at least 1 card from each deck. I'm incredibly happy with where the illustrations are and I think they're going to really immerse the players in the theme of the game. When I originally did the drawings, I thought they looked fantastic, and once I started colouring them, I am incredibly happy that I didn't do the same thing that I did with LOSS! in Space where I left the illustrations black and white. These drawings were made to be coloured. My goal is to put together the art and box for June, and have the "final" print and play files ready by July. This game may still change with additional play testing that's taking place in the next few months, but not much will change with the art which is why I'm content to spend 3-4 hours total on the drawing and colouring of each illustration. More updates to follow in the next few weeks!


0 Comments

Equate This! Box Art

Karl Juhlke - March 27, 2019

Equate This! now has box art! I've made this sample one and have a few measurements to fix, mainly the height of the box. Right now it's a little too tall. I experimented with making an insert, and it worked out pretty well. I'll post another update when the updated box art is added to the download section for the game.


0 Comments

Wildfire Rescue! Now Live!

Karl Juhlke - March 22, 2019

It's been a long time coming, but I've finally posted my cooperative mint-sized game "Wildfire Rescue!" to the site. For those of you who don't know, this is a game where you play as a group of park rangers trying to get campers out of the forest before the wildfire spreads too far. This is the smallest print and play game on the site as it all fits into a mint tin! Take that "Buried Treasure" with 600+ components! This was initially designed for a BoardGameGeek competition. Out of 17+ competitors, it placed 5th Best Artwork & Graphic Design, 6th Best Rule Book, 7th Best Overall Game, and 8th Best Use of Theme. Download it here on the site!


0 Comments

Buried Treasure! Rulebook

Karl Juhlke - March 22, 2019

I've been busy drawing the illustrations for the game, I'm now at 37, but I've been working on the rulebook as well. I need to make sure that the rules are well written so anyone can read them and understand how to play the game. Something I noticed I was missing from the rulebook was the cards! It's a little hard to do this without having a finished card that has most of the elements across each deck. I've also started working on the graphic design of the rulebook which will make it look more like a ship's log, tying into the theme of the game a little more. That's it for now, but rest assured steady progress is being made!


0 Comments

Buried Treasure! Blackbeard Card

Karl Juhlke - March 14, 2019

I've been working hard on this game; getting the rules ironed out, drawing, and playtesting. Honestly, it seems to go on forever without end. However, I decided to stop and colour the Blackbeard illustration that I did and place it in a card to get a "final" outlook on how cards would look like. I am very glad I did. For any of you who know about long projects, they can be a downer. One day you're incredibly excited about the project, and the next you've hit the doldrums (see what I did there?) and don't want to go on. To see at least one part of the project in a final stage can reinvigorate you giving you the energy to push on. That's what this card has done for me. I know there's still work to do on it. I'm not quite happy with the way the bottom parchment colour is so similar to the illustration background parchment. I tried changing that, but it didn't quite look right. Now that I'm writing this, I think possibly making it look like the name/stats are on a separate piece of paper placed on top of the paper with the illustration on it. It might give it more of a privateer captain's desk as they're trying to find out more about the villain. I decided to go with a parchment background to the pirates, shop, and possibly the other decks to help it look like it was drawn in world by explorers and sailors. I want this world to feel lived in, and to give the player the opportunity to feel as though they're a part of the world rather than just playing a game about pirates. Those are my thoughts, let me know what you think!


1 Comments
1
2
3
4